MONTECITO, Calif. - Construction on a bridge that was seriously damaged during the Montecito debris flow should be complete by the end of the year.
Santa Barbara County Public Works crews started work to replace the Ashley Road Bridge in July. The office announced Monday that work is expected to finish by the end of 2019.
Public Works says the bridge, which was built in 1918, was seriously damaged during the mudslide. Stone railings were destroyed and a wall was damaged.
The bridge was demolished and a temporary bridge was put in place in June of last year, but it's only designed for emergency use.
The county says this was creating problems for people who lived in the area, and the department expedited the $1.7 million replacement project.
"We're trying to provide Montecito residents and visitors with a bridge that has the same look and feel as before the debris flow," said Project Manager Charlie Elbert in a press release.
Funding for the project is provided by FEMA, California Office of Emergency Services, and the Santa Barbara County General Fund.