News

Man found on fire in Goleta flood channel dies from injuries

Explosion burns man in Goleta creek

GOLETA, Calif. - A man found on fire following an explosion in a Goleta homeless encampment on Friday night has died from his injuries.

Fire responders said he died Saturday morning at Cottage Hospital.

A neighbor heard him screaming in pain and called Santa Barbara County Fire Department.

They doused him with a garden house near the 500 block of Hollister Avenue. 

"He was fully engulfed in flames; His entire body was flames," said Paula Bottani, who witnessed the incident.  

"He was just rolling around and it's just really tragic, just so tragic."

Witnesses said it appeared some kind of camping stove may have sparked the flames in a homeless encampment. 

"We need to get these people into housing, out from where they are feeling unsafe and where they do unsafe things," Botttani said. 

Firefighters used a ladder to get him out of the San Jose Flood Channel. They also made sure a small fire didn't spread.

Paramedics took the burned man to Cottage Hospital.

His identity has not been released.

 

 

This is a developing story. New information will be added as soon as it comes into the newsroom.


Recommended Stories

Top Local Stories