Pets

Chocolates and dogs are a killer combination

Vets recommend caution around Halloween time

Chocolates and dogs are a killer combination

SANTA MARIA, Calif. - Halloween is just around the corner, and veterinarians warn that some chocolates and candies can be life-threatening for dogs. 

"Chocolate can be fatal to dogs, and they can die from it," said All Valley Pet Hospital Veterinarian, Dr. Kahlon.

Kahlon said his clinic often sees an increase in animals coming in sick from eating Halloween goodies at this time of year. He says that even small amounts of chocolate can severely hurt your pet.

“The fatal dose is as little as one ounce per pound of dog,” says Kahlon.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you need to act fast. Kahlon says if the dog has ingested it within the hour to induce vomiting before rushing to the hospital.”

Kahlon says you can do this by giving your dog hydrogen peroxide, one teaspoon per five pounds of the dog, but don't exceed eight teaspoons regardless of your dog's weight.

Chewing gum and sugar-free candy with artificial sweetener Xylitol can also be deathly for your pets. Kahlon says it can cause severe liver damage to your dog.

“Xylitol can cause seizures and immediate death,” said Kahlon.

Dog owner Perry Page has seen other pet owners feeding their pets candy. He feels some may not know just how bad it can be for dogs.

“There are a lot of things that are bad for dogs and pet owners should really look into and make sure they know what they are giving their dogs,” said Page.

Kalhon says signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, seizures weakness, and anxiousness.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories