Beach Hazard Statement:
- ...Beach hazards statement now in effect through Saturday afternoon...
- surf...a long-period west swell will build surf to 3 to 6 feet today...peaking late tonight into Saturday morning and lingering through Saturday afternoon.
- Locations...the largest surf is expected on exposed west facing beaches...including Hermosa...Manhattan and Venice beaches in Los Angeles County...Oxnard Shores and Ventura Point in Ventura County...and El Capitan and Rincon Point along the Santa Barbara South Coast.
- Tides...a low tide of around 0 feet will occur at 315 PM PDT this afternoon...and high tide near 5.0 feet will occur around 10 am PDT Saturday morning. The afternoon low tide will be near 0.2 feet around 330 PM PDT Saturday.
- Impacts...strong rip currents will increase the risk of ocean drowning. Sneaker waves can suddenly wash people off of beaches and rock jetties. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A beach hazards statement is issued when threats to beach and surf zone safety are expected or occurring. Caution should be used when in or near the water. Stay near occupied lifeguard towers and never swim alone. If caught in a rip current...swim parallel to the shore.