CARPINTERIA, Calif. - Major road construction will be taking place on Highway 101 as crews look to improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria.
The primary areas for construction are at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. Highway interchanges will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue.
New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Highway 101 and Via Real and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the bridges over Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have two lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction.
There will be nighttime closures as needed.
Linden Avenue will be closed over Highway 101 for approximately three weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps and bikeways will open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
The project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. The project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments and the City of Carpinteria.
For more information you can visit the project website or call (805).845-5112.
A complete timeline of the construction project is below:
- Pile testing is ongoing. After the last of the test piles is installed, hydraulic testing equipment will be setup. Dynamic tests will verify that pile lengths suit soil strengths for the future Linden Avenue overcrossing. Please visit the Construction Update page to view site photos and see large testing equipment at work.
- The northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Linden Avenue will be closed from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am weekdays as needed for equipment delivery and setup.
- Linden Avenue and Ogan Road will be re-striped with lanes shifted to prepare for new bridge construction over the freeway. Re-striping will occur at night with one-way traffic control and flagmen on February 14th and 15th from 6:00 pm to 7:00 am.
Casitas Pass Road
- Casitas Pass Road will be re-striped with lanes shifted to prepare for new bridge construction over the freeway. Re-striping will occur at night with one-way traffic control and flagmen on February 14th and 15th from 6:00 pm to 7:00 am.
- Southern California Edison will continue electrical line relocations and close Casitas Pass Road on February 14th from 6:00 pm to 7:00 am as needed. Please use Linden Avenue as the alternate route during this time. Additionally, the California Highway Patrol will perform traffic breaks on Highway 101 as needed to allow SCE to run new lines. Highway 101 lanes will remain open.
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close as needed weekdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am to work on the freeway shoulder to prepare for upcoming lane shifts.
- Crews will pave the old median area on Casitas Pass Road near the ARCO station during the week as weather allows. Flagmen will direct traffic during work. One lane will remain open in each direction on Casitas Pass Road.
- Crews will re-stripe lanes and shift concrete safety barrier on Highway 101 at night throughout the week.
- There will be alternating, northbound and southbound Highway 101 lane and ramp closures as needed from south of Carpinteria Creek to north of Linden Avenue beginning at 8:00 pm. Northbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by 5:00 am, and southbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by 7:00 am.