SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Doug Caines is no longer the head football coach at Santa Barbara High School. The school's administration decided that it was best for the program to ask Caines to step down this morning.
Athletic Director Joe Chenoweth said that there were some things that Caines and the administration "could not fully agree on but in terms of dedication and commitment, Doug has been a fantastic coach. But when it comes down to it we just couldn't connect the dots."
Caines is a former Dons player and he was also an assistant coach for Santa Barbara High School. He took over as head coach in 2012 and led the Dons to a co-Channel League title finishing 8-3. Last year the Dons struggled to a 4-6 record.
Chenoweth said that Caines would stay on as a teacher at the school and may even help out the football program in some capacity.
Santa Barbara will use an interim head coach for the upcoming season that starts on August 29. Chenoweth hopes to have a coach in place by early next week. Former Dons head coach Jaime Melgoza may step in and so could coaches JT Stone and Udy Loza.