Wildfire

Dog killed in residential fire near Buellton

Couple displaced

BUELLTON, Calif. - A dog died from smoke inhalation in a residential fire that displaced a couple near Buellton early Sunday morning.

At around 3:00 a.m., Santa Barbara County Fire responded to the residence at 6441 California State Route 246 near Buellton.

A single family home on the former Vieira tree farm was filled with smoke .

Firefighters extinguished the flames in the living room quickly and contained the fire that may be linked to an electrical problem.

The rest of the home sustained severe smoke damage.

Todd La Pointe said his older sister Angelina La Pointe and her longtime boyfriend Dan escaped through the back door and used a garden hose to protect the structure until fire crews arrived.

They told the firefighters about the dog. Crews found the dog's remains inside.

La Pointe said Buddy may have been sleeping when smoke filled the room.  He said Dan rescued the dog from the shelter about four years ago. They buried Buddy out back with other family pets.

La Pointe had a smoke detector, but it may have been missing a battery that was taken out when the alarm repeatedly sounded during cooking.

The heat and smoke from the fire also damaged music equipment, including Angelina La Pointe's upright bass.

She is a member of the local band, The Luck.   

Although her brother said she is devastated she may be feeling lucky for the outpouring of support.

Todd La Pointe set up a GoFundMe page on his sister's birthday, Monday.

 Donations quickly surpassed $2,000.

Donations can be made by visiting  https://www.gofundme.com/angelina-and-dans-fire-relief-fund

Friends are also hosting a fundraiser on Thursday night at Sort This Out Cellars in Solvang where The Luck has performed.

For more information check out https://www.facebook.com/sortthisoutcellars/photos.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories