VENTURA, Calif. - The American Red Cross is opening several client service centers into the new year in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties for residents affected by the Thomas Fire.
Ventura County Credit Union, 6026 Telephone Rd., Ventura, CA 93003
- Saturday and Sunday, December 30 and 31, 2017 – 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 2, 2018 through Friday, January 5, 2018 – 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 6, 2018 through Sunday, January 7, 2018 – 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Red Cross chapter office, 2707 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
- Sunday, December 31, 2017 – 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Ojai Public Library, 111 E Ojai Ave., Ojai, CA 93023
- Saturday, January 6 through Sunday, January 7, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Tzu Chi Foundation will be on site in Ventura on December 30 to provide additional financial assistance.
A public hotline has been set up for anyone who may have additional questions about what services are available. Please call the hotline at 512-745-2920 or contact the local Red Cross chapter at 805-987-1514 to learn more.
Red Cross caseworkers will be connecting one-on-one with people providing them an opportunity to share their needs, ask questions, and even help with financial assistance for those that qualify as residents begin the long road to recovery.
The Red Cross also offered some helpful safety tips on what to do when returning home and recovering after a wildfire:
- Do not enter your home until fire officials say it is safe.
- Use caution when entering burned areas as hazards may still exist, including hot spots, which can flare up without warning.
- Avoid damaged or fallen power lines, poles and downed wires.
- Watch animals closely and keep them under your direct control. Hidden embers and hot spots could burn your pets’ paws or hooves.
- Discard any food that has been exposed to heat, smoke or soot.
- Take precautions while cleaning your property. You may be exposed to potential health risks from hazardous materials.