Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

POSTED: 07:27 AM PDT May 16, 2013    UPDATED: 03:05 PM PDT May 16, 2013 
Structure Fire at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -

NewsChannel 3 now knows what started a fire in a dorm room on the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo campus.

Fire investigators say an unattended candle left in a room in the Poly Canyon Village complex started the blaze.  It happened just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

More than 400 students were evacuated from the complex while firefighters put out the flames.

The damage was contained to a single bedroom, and is estimated at $25,000.

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

POSTED: 03:05 PM PDT May 16, 2013 

  Fire investigators say an unattended candle left in a room in the Poly Canyon Village complex started the blaze.  It happened just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Calpoly_Corralitos_Fire_1
1 / 4

The room's sprinkler system is being credited with keeping the fire in check until firefighters arrived.