SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The Santa Barbara County District Attorney's Office said on Friday that it has charged a 15-year-old Santa Ynez High School student with one felony account of assault.
The charge comes in connection with a fight that occurred at the high school on April 4. The altercation was caught on video and went viral.
Students can be seen in the video watching or walking by as an instructional aide pulled the girls apart and tells them to knock it off.
One girl was taken to the hospital but later released without injuries, according to school officials.
Santa Ynez High School Vice-Principal Peter Haws said social media posts prior to the fight played a role in the dispute between the two girls.
One of the girls' mother told KCOY 12 through Facebook that her daughter had been bullied for a while before finally confronting her aggressor.
The 15-year-old appeared in Santa Maria Juvenile Court on Friday with the next court appearance scheduled for April 21st.
Santa Ynez High School Principal Mark Swanitz published an open letter to the community regarding the recent fights that have taken place on school campus. Read the full letter here.