Santa Barbara- S County

Early Morning House Fire Leaves Four Homeless

Working Smoke Detectors Alert Sleeping Residents

Early Morning House Fire Leaves Four Homeless

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Fire investigators have determined that wiring in a portable electric fan sparked an early morning house fire in Santa Barbara.

It happened in the 1100 block of Carpinteria Street.

Santa Barbara City Fire Captain Gary Pitney said the device malfunctioned about 5:00 am Friday morning, sparking flames and enough smoke to set off a smoke detector that awakened the residents.

They made it out of the burning home safely.

By the time firefighters arrived, flames had scorched the kitchen and a front bedroom in the single-story house. Crews had the fire out within fifteen minutes.

The damage was severe enough to displace the four residents for an unknown amount of time.

One resident was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Pitney said without a doubt, those working smoke detectors helped save those inside from suffering serious injuries or death.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories