San Luis Obispo County

Morro Bay home fire leads to cannabis grow discovery

MORRO BAY, Calif. - The Morro Bay Police Department is investigating a cannabis grow at a home in the 2800 block of Fir Street after firefighters responded to a fire at the property in the early morning hours Monday.

Fire crews with the Morro Bay Fire Department and Cal Fire responded to the home at about 2:13 a.m. and discovered a garage fully engulfed in flames threatening a couple of nearby homes.

Challenging their firefight were some overhead electrical wires that had burned through and fallen on the ground near the garage. With assistance from PG&E, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire just before 3 a.m.

The garage was completely destroyed while the adjacent homes received minor to moderate damage.

The Morro Bay Fire Department said the cause of the fire is attributed to the misuse and over loading of electrical circuits, adaptors and cords that were used to support an indoor cannabis grow.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

The Morro Bay Fire Department encourages residents to practice electrical safety by following these tips:

  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
  • Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
  • If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
  • Make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in the kitchen bathroom(s), laundry, basement, and outdoor areas.
  • Do not overload power and only one power strip per electrical outlet. 


For more information on electrical safety, click here.

comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories