Money and Business

Rags with linseed oil spark fire near Santa Barbara's 'The Little Door' restaurant

Firefighters woke neighbors up

Firefighters find smoke billowing out...

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Rags with linseed oil are believed to have caused a fire underneath the deck of a new restaurant in Santa Barbara Tuesday night, according to the Santa Barbara City Fire Department.

The fire broke out at about 11 p.m. on E.Anapamu Street inside a trash bin under the deck leading to the Little Door Restaurant, firefighters said.

Workers earlier in the day had been working on the deck using rags with linseed oil on it. This can sometimes cause a chemical reaction that can spark a fire.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the trash bin underneath the deck and it did not spread to the restaurant, according to the fire department.

People watching the firefighters said it smelled like an electrical fire.

Amee Dutch said the sound of fire trucks woke her up. She said firefighters came to her door and asked her and her family to evacuate.

Neighbors said people had recently been doing work to prepare for the opening the new restaurant that advertises Mediterranean cuisine.

Firefighters say the fire was sparked accidentally.

comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories