Local News

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - NewsChannel 3 now knows what started a fire in a dorm room on the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo campus.

Fire investigators say an unattended candle left in a room in the Poly Canyon Village complex started the blaze.  It happened just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

More than 400 students were evacuated from the complex while firefighters put out the flames.

The damage was contained to a single bedroom, and is estimated at $25,000.

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

The room's sprinkler system is being credited with keeping the fire in check until firefighters arrived.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories