SANTA MARIA, Calif. - A major gas leak forced about 150 Santa Maria residents to evacuate their homes early Tuesday morning.
It happened on the 1500 block of N. McClelland Street at 2:30 a.m.
The Santa Maria Fire Department says it appeared the gas line was damaged intentionally, which resulted in a significant leak. This prompted fire and police officials to temporarily evacuate residents in the Rancho Gardens housing complex.
Gas Company workers were called in and turned off the gas lines heading into the Rancho Gardens community allowing residents to return to their homes.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates on this story throughout the day.