Local News

Four Deputies Involved In Crossfire With Isla Vista Shooting Suspect Return To Work

Sheriff said deputies hit shooting suspect in hip before he took his own life

Deputies Involved in I.V. Shooting Return to Work

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY, Calif. - Santa Barbara County Sheriff Department released the following information:

The four Santa Barbara County Sheriff's deputies involved in two gun battles with Elliot Rodger, the deceased suspect responsible for the Isla Vista shooting rampage on May 23, have all been released to full duty. 

The deputies had been placed on administrative leave which is a routine occurrence in any officer involved shooting. Sheriff Bill Brown credits these deputies with being instrumental in stopping a deadly situation that, as terrible as it was, could have been far worse. 

He said, "The Sheriff's Office, like the rest of our community, is still trying to come to grips with the fact that we lost six young, vibrant UCSB students at the hands of this deranged killer, but if it were not for the quick and decisive actions of these brave deputies, many more innocent people might have died that night."

The mass murder case is still under investigation, but Sheriff's investigators believe deputies wounded Rodger in the hip during a gun battle. 

The injury likely distracted him from his killing spree and put him to flight, causing him to crash his BMW and ultimately to take his own life. Three handguns and more than 400 rounds of ammunition loaded into 41 magazines were found in the suspect's possession.

Three UCSB students were killed and 13 people were wounded in the shooting rampage. 

Three other USCB students were later found brutally murdered in the suspect's apartment.  Each of them had been repeatedly stabbed.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories