A family of eight are without a home Tuesday after a suspicious fire.
The fire broke out at 1:41 p.m. on the 800 block of Airport Avenue in Lompoc.
Lompoc City Fire Department said the duplex was fully engulfed in flames with smoke coming out of the windows.
Once the fire was fully contained, Detectives from the Gang Narcotics Enforcement Team responded and it was determined the cause of the fire to be an illegal butane honey oil extraction operation. Honey oil is the byproduct of a marijuana THC extraction process that utilizes butane gas.
Police arrested 29-year-old Clyde Smith, who was still on scene for making a controlled substance through a chemical process and causing a fire resulting in an injury to another. He was transported to Lompoc Jail and his bail is set at $75,000.
One firefighter sustained minor burns to his shoulders through his protective gear. He was transported to Lompoc Medical Center for treatment and then released.
Santa Barbara County Fire and Vandenberg Air Force Base Fire Department also responded to the home. Fire crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the upstairs area.
The Red Cross was called to assist the displaced family.