A fire in a Santa Maria house on Wednesday afternoon killed one dog and injured another.
The fire broke just after Noon on the first floor of the family residence near the corner of Alvin Aveune and Curreyer Street. Neighbors saw smoke coming from the house and called 911.
Once fire crews from the Santa Maria Fire Department arrived, they were able to put the fire out within 30 minutes.
The occupants of the house were not inside at the time of the fire, but four pets were. A dog was killed from smoke inhalation, while another pet was injured and is now being treated at Animal Control.
No injuries were reported and an exact cause has yet to be determined. Initial damages is estimated at $75,000 for the structure and $25,000 for the contents inside.
The house has been listed as uninhabitable and the family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.