MONTECITO, Calif. - Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce Dudley has made it very clear, if you enter the mandatory evacuation zone in Montecito the consequences are real.
"Officials are still trying to save lives out there so we don't want anyone getting in their way," Dudley told us earlier this week. "And they face up to six months in county jail and a $1,000 fine. We don't want anyone placing themselves or others in danger."
Santa Barbara County officials expanded the exclusion zone, making it a mandatory evacuation zone on Thursday in hopes of clearing more people out.
"Those area's are very dangerous," Dudley said. "People could still lose their lives walking around in those areas."
Dudley has been somewhat stuck herself. Her home in Carpinteria is safe but like so many others getting to Santa Barbara has been impossible. While working remotely from her home, she has also been walking throughout her neighborhood taking a look at the mud and debris.