Crime

Man sentenced to nearly 20 years in prison for sexual assault in LA, Carpinteria

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY, Calif. - A man who pled guilty to sexually assaulting women in Los Angeles and Carpinteria will be spending 19 years and four months in state prison.

The Santa Barbara County District Attorney's Office said Luis A. Martinez-Garcia pled to multiple felony counts stemming from the assaults back in May and July 2015.

On May 17, 2015, a woman who was visiting a nightclub in downtown Los Angeles became separated from her friends after she had been drinking and prosecutors said that's when the rape occurred. Good Samaritans took the woman to a police station where she received a sexual assault examination.

The evidence collected during the examination of this victim matched Martinez-Garcia who was being prosecuted at the time for an assault in Carpinteria. Prosecutors said Martinez-Garcia pled to one count of rape of a person who was prevented from resisting by an intoxicating substance.

On July 25, 2015, investigators said Martinez-Garcia broke into a Carpinteria home where he sexually assaulted a sleeping woman. The victim woke up during the assault and alerted her partner who was sleeping next to her. Martinez-Garcia fled but was captured by police later that day.

The District Attorney's Office said Martinez-Garcia pled to oral copulation of an unconscious or asleep person, assault with intent to commit oral copulation and residential burglary.

Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce E. Dudley said, "The fact that the defendant was sentenced to multiple felony charges and nearly two decades in prison is a direct result of the tenacity and hard work of Sr. Deputy District Attorney Mary Barron."

Martinez-Garcia's sentencing was finalized August 21, 2017.


comments powered by Disqus

Top Local Stories