SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Neighbors have been keeping an eye on Richard Box since the man accused of sexually abusing his wife and step-daughter posted bail.
He recently asked the court for permission to do home repair but instead he was ordered to stay 500-yards away from properties where his accusers live. His wife and step-daughter, both from Thailand, live in a home on the Santa Barbara Mesa.
Their neighbors said they called police after seeing him nearby last month.
On Friday, Box was spotted having lunch at a popular Santa Barbara Harbor restaurant. Witnesses said he was defiant and smiled when police came to arrest him. Officers returned to the restaurant to find a phone he is suspected of passing off to his dining companion. It could hold proof of his whereabouts.
A $1-million warrant had been issued for his arrest, but Box is now back in jail. A trial date has not yet been set.