Cal Poly dorm fire displaces students

Chudney Matta, NewsChannel 3 Reporter, chudney.matta@keyt.com
POSTED: 11:11 PM PST Nov 04, 2013    UPDATED: 10:00 AM PST Nov 05, 2013 
Cal Poly
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Calif. -

Over 100 students were evacuated from their dorm rooms in Cal Poly's Sequoia Hall over the weekend when a overloaded circuit sparked and caught fire.

An electrical circuit that is connected in three rooms in Sequoia Hall shorted out on Sunday, resulting in sparks which caught fire to a mattress in one of the rooms.

Some residents of the building said when firefighters arrived they put out the fire quickly but had to toss the mattress out a third floor window.

Residents who were displaced from their rooms have been moved to another dorm until repairs are made and electricity is restored.

School officials say that the damage id estimated at $1,000.