SUMMERLAND, Calif. -

A structure fire in Summerland forced a couple to spend their Christmas Day in a motel.

Calls came into the Carpinteria-Summerland fire station around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday for a home on fire on the 2200 block of Varley Street.

Neighbors said they saw smoke coming from inside the home. A neighbor saw the smoke, called 911, and rescued their pets.

"My neighbor said he pushed the doors open and two snouts came out because the house was full of smoke. He then broke the glass and opened the door and got my two dogs out and brought them to safety. He is my hero," said Suzie Moyhahan, who lives in the home.

The fire was caused by a faulty electrical wire that caught fire. Fire crews were able to put the fire out quickly, but it still destroyed the master bedroom as well as caused extensive smoke damage throughout the house.